The next journey begins Poland and Rwanda 2019

The next journey begins  Poland and Rwanda 2019
2019 adventures

Saturday, July 23, 2022

Shabbat July 23,2022

 Colleen and I were invited and attended Shabbat service .  Being Shabbat I was unable to take  photos- Just quickly took outside photos I found interesting.

It was surreal to see the Hadassah sign and the Jewish restaurants. We were greeted warmly by a young Orthodox young man, Aaron. There were more people than I anticipated. Aaron is from UK and filling in for the Rabbi who was away with his wife. There was an array of people that made for quite an intereting cast of characters.  Of course Colleen and I, then a lovely Israeli family of three young daughters.One of them actually requested to come to Rwanda for her Bat Mitzvah gift.  They were an Orthodox family who live in Israel but the wife, Rivka is from/Canada. The kids were so lovely and personable. I was able to speak a little Hebrew and felt accomplished  when the husband said my Hebrew was good! Then there was a family I could not  figure out. The man, who had an unfortunate large growth on his neck , was from/Germany and he referred to a Rwandan man with dreads as his father and the three children as his siblings. I could not figure it out.  There was an older ( probably younger than I lol) gentleman- Orthodox- who was teaching Martial Arts here in Rwanda! at the Shalom youth village we had previously visited. The group was rouded out by Victor, an arrogant, pushy, man who claimed to be Israeli/ Russian  and a supposedly a financial investment advisor. It seemed like an odd occupation in a relatively poor country.  Who was he advising?  He skirted the question when asked by Rikva.  The service was the shortest I ever attended. Men and women separarated. The tunes unfamilar but the Israeli husband, Shmuli was kind enough to change the welcoming Shabbat bride to a tune I knew.  After the short service we went downstairsto traditionally wash our hands and sat down to an amazing meal!  Hummus, Tahinni, Olives, eggplant, salad and AMAZING challah!  followed by delicious chcken cutlets, rice, and other delecibles. The " Financier" was saying he was angry that Rwanda changed their citizenshp requirement from residency of 3-5 years to 15!  I think they do not want this guy to be a citizen. He was also not a Biden fan soooo. Colleen and I changed our seats and would rather sit with the 10 year old than this guy.  All in all it was a wonderful Shabbat and we are invited anytime. I just found the moment so engaging and thought about the incredible experience I was having, as I ate Challah, spoke Hebrew, said Shabbat blessings in Kiilgali Rwanda- AMAZING!

A strange sight to see in Rwanda!!!

Upstairs from this restaurant was the Chabad House




No comments:

Post a Comment