The next journey begins Poland and Rwanda 2019

The next journey begins  Poland and Rwanda 2019
2019 adventures

Friday, July 21, 2023

1-2

 We arrived after 24 hours total!  Stopping in Senagal and arrived to Conakry to a chaotic and crazy airport immigration! No rules, Immigration officer leaving for no reason the line WE were on !  THEN the luggage OMG  so many people pulling cases off. One nice worker helped us and all I had was a few US$ to give as a tip.  Than goodness Olivier and Martin were there to greet us in a hot , humid ( yes my hair is super curly) crowd of hundreds of people. Many returning from completing the Haj in Saudi Arabia. The cacophony of motorcycles, trucks, cars with literally no traffic signs !  To reach our cab Martin literally held our hands one at a time to just go into the traffic and hope they will let us cross.  I wanted to close my eyes.  Ive been to many places but seriously NEVER saw traffic like this.  A game of chicken as to who lets who go first.  On our way to the center we saw many many people, shops, and all looked rather impoverished. There are about 19million in the country and about 2 million in Conakry.  Arrived to the center and got the grand tour ,meeting our security guards who stay at night.  Our dinner of fish, and really spicy sauce was waiting but we only tasted it bc we were too tired to eat. Our rooms are nice. Each of us has a bedroom with a desk, closet, bathroom ((no hot water) a small frig and AC! The humidity is really oppresive. 

Today we visited all the classrooms. The teachers and student names are a challenge. Colleen does well in French. I did not do well i HS!  and i seem to be thinking in Hebrew and trying to figure out a word in French.  The teachers are amazing and dedicated. Many having been students and volunteers here first. I am always amazed ( as in Rwanda) at the enthusiasm of the kids. Raising hands, wanting to ask questions.  I am excited about teaching staff ad kids tomorrow.  Many kids here have NEVER been to school at all. I will attempt to ost some photos If I remember how to do it. 

I forgot to add that the rain is so LOUD and INTENSE  I have never heard rain like this that actually woke me up.  The call to prayer at 5 am also helped to wake me up.  Electricty is spotty and no one even notices when it goes off along with AC! Tomorrow we will begin teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment