The next journey begins Poland and Rwanda 2019

The next journey begins  Poland and Rwanda 2019
2019 adventures

Monday, July 8, 2019

Murowana Goslina

Last day and what a full day it was!
Early train to Kubi home town. We went to the school that he teaches in and met with his headmaster ( principal) and several students. They were so enthusiastic to hear about my role as a teacher in New Jersey. They clearly love "Mr Kubi" and he deserves his title of Best Teacher in Poland!  I just learned he actually did receive this. We met also once again with Alicia Kobus who took us to a site where she was responsible for the research and the marking of a Jewish Cemetery in a small town of Skoki. At 72 she is a force to be reckoned with. She never takes "NO" for an answer and has gone to heads of states, countrues etc to make sure sites are marked and memorialized. We lit memorial candles as well.  We then actually met with the Mayor of the town Mr. Tadeusz Klos Burmistrz who was so kind to see us and through Kubi's translating learned about the town and that he, the mayor is not a Trump fan! I like this guy.  I felt very important meeting the mayor! Mr Burmistrz . I told him about the town of Skokie Illinois and he was unaware there was a town in USA with same name- albeit spelled differently.

We then went to Kubi's house for a typical Polish meal that was soooo delicious. There was enough for the whole town.  All the vegetables were from her garden.
The home made cakes, and if that was not enough to put on the pounds we went for LODI (ice cream).  We bid Alicia and Jakub's Mom goodbye and headed back to his school where many of his students and their parents came to watch the film
"who will write our history" the film about the Oneg Shabbat archives, I have seen this film before . After the movie we had a discussion about the film. The students were shy but seemed to really be moved by the film. Kubi and another teacher translated (Kubi must be exhausted from a week of translating for me) I gave my perspective on the film and offered some information I knew about the archives. I got the feeling there was a bit of discomfort for them being Polish to see this film and learn about the Polish people who were less than empathetic and often profited from turning in Jews but there are also those who helped as we all know such as Irena Sendler and many more. There is a memorial site right outside of this school commemorating another Jewish cemetery. Kubi is presently working on having a bench of meditation at this site.

We headed back to Poznan and Dymitr was waiting for us. He gave me another thrill ride through the underground parking lot which was more like a race car experience. We shared a small meal in Kubi"s flat talked and as you can see I wanted to be eye to eye so I stood on a chair to say fare well for now.  I called Jennie and my sister so they could meet my new friends. Jennie thanked them for being so kind and taking good care of me- which they did. I asked "d" to make sure there is a room at the castle just for me!

Packed ready to go and I have to be up in three hours
enjoy the photos and I apologize for the typos I will try to fix later from home

OWINSKA Kubi pointed out  this town to me, while on the train ,which was actually the very first place the Nazi"s killed people (not Jews)( who had disabilities and considered not worth living.) prior to the infamous T4 in Berlin

















No comments:

Post a Comment